Asset Manager, Infrastructure, Sydney
Background on InfraRed
InfraRed is a leading global investment manager focused on infrastructure and real estate investments with over 150 professionals operating in London, Hong Kong, New York, Sydney, Seoul and Mexico City. We manage more than US$12 bn of equity capital in both private and listed funds on behalf of institutional investors across the globe.
Since its inception over 25 years ago, InfraRed has launched 18 funds, including two companies listed on the London Stock Exchange: HICL Infrastructure PLC (“HICL”) and The Renewables Infrastructure Group.
At InfraRed, we implement best-in-class practices to underpin asset management and investment decisions, promote ethical behaviour and have established community engagement initiatives to support good causes in the wider communities in which we invest. We are signatory of a Principle of Responsible Investment (PRI), a voluntary framework for incorporating ESG issues into investment practice, and consistently achieve excellent ratings.
We are proud to be a global and inclusive organisation with a welcoming and respectful culture. We recognise talent and actively support personal and professional development of our employees to the best of their abilities. We are focused not only on the outcomes but on how we get there. By taking an active approach to investing and asset management we maximise the potential of our projects and our people. We always seek new talent to complement our growing network of professionals, specialising in various disciplines; from capital raising and business origination to asset and portfolio management, and within our central business functions.
Due to a number of exciting changes and portfolio development we are looking for a talented senior asset manager to join our Infrastructure team based in Sydney. Successful candidates will have the opportunity to act as a Director on a portfolio of Project Company Boards. The roles will manage investments in infrastructure projects and focus on value preservation, increasing shareholder value and the delivery of ‘best in class’ asset management. They will also manage public and private sector partners, assist in the sourcing of new investment opportunities and provide technical input to both acquisitions and bids.
As a senior infrastructure professional, it is also expected that the candidate will assume a line management role, taking responsibility for developing the Sydney based Asset Management team and working closely with the Head of Australia & New Zealand having a broader role in the management and development of our activities in Australasia.
The role will report to Mark Wayment, senior Director in the Asset Management team based in the UK responsible for the management of projects/assets in Australasia and will also work closely with the Head of Australia & New Zealand as part of the Sydney office team.
The main responsibilities for the position include:
- Support the Head of Australia to develop the efficient working of our Australasian operation from an asset management perspective.
- Working proactively with the InfraRed asset management team to pursue excellence in the delivery of our asset management function
- Take line management responsibility for a number of InfraRed consultants (currently 3) who provide asset management services on our projects in Australia and New Zealand
- Managing a portfolio of investments as one of the nominated InfraRed board directors representing the interests of our fund investors. The iBoard director roles include:-
- Ensure good governance and that all statutory, contractual and corporate regulations and InfraRed policies are properly complied with by the SPV management teams running the day to day operations of the asset
- Preparing for and attending all relevant meetings with the management teams, service providers, clients and other key stakeholders
- Determining and driving value initiatives and risk mitigation strategies at the project level
- Review and challenge the cost and revenue assumptions and asset plans put forward by project company management teams
- Managing the key stakeholder relationships, including public sector clients where applicable, including the attendance and contribution in contractual meetings and other forms of general contact
- Attend internal meetings including Investment Committee Quarterly Review meetings involving the management and development of assets, including the preparation and presentation of clear and factual reports
- Agreeing the appointment and coordination of specialist input
- Provide regular and high-quality reporting and other communications to the London office on asset performance, issues and actions
- Carrying out asset specific and portfolio-wide analysis, taking a proactive and entrepreneurial approach to identify and explain value preservation and value enhancement initiatives across the portfolio, and then to drive the implementation of these initiatives to an agreed plan
- Develop and utilise a broad business network to help with the sourcing of new opportunities and then assist colleagues to develop these through to successful investment
- Assist with due diligence activities on new investments, such as reviewing elements of project documentation, technical due diligence reports, asset management solution and making site visits to support bids and acquisitions.
- Assisting the broader InfraRed Asset Management team on specific tasks on those projects which have operational, performance or relationship issues
- Assist/support the broader Sydney based team in the development of new opportunities by:
- Utilising or calling on existing/established relationships and experience in the market
- Making introductions where possible
- Attending meetings etc
Candidate profile / key characteristics
We expect the successful candidate to demonstrate the following attributes:
- Experience as an asset manager/non-executive director on PPP projects in Australasia. Understand the fiduciary duties of a Director in Australasia.
- Experience in the delivery of either Facility Management, Construction Services and/or Energy Systems, or working in technical capacity in the built environment
- Numerate and commercially aware
- Ability to analyse and solve-problems, including the use and manipulation of Excel and other software products
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal in English language, able to engage at all levels
- Confidence to represent investor interests at Project Board level, with the ability and willingness to take management responsibility and to take a lead where necessary in negotiations with stakeholders
- Practiced project management skills
- Able to work autonomously and as part of a team
- Experience of managing one or more junior colleagues
- Able to work on a variety of tasks concurrently
- Deliver accurate, quality reporting to meet tight deadlines
- Proficiency in MS Office