Senior Asset Manager, Infrastructure
Background on InfraRed
InfraRed is a leading global investment manager focused on infrastructure and real estate investments with over 160 professionals operating in London, Hong Kong, New York, Sydney, Seoul and Mexico City. We manage more than US$12 bn of equity capital in both private and listed funds on behalf of institutional investors across the globe.
Since its inception over 25 years ago, InfraRed has launched 19 funds, including two companies listed on the London Stock Exchange: HICL Infrastructure PLC (“HICL”) and The Renewables Infrastructure Group.
At InfraRed, we implement best-in-class practices to underpin asset management and investment decisions, promote ethical behaviour and have established community engagement initiatives to support good causes in the wider communities in which we invest. We are signatory of a Principle of Responsible Investment (PRI), a voluntary framework for incorporating ESG issues into investment practice, and consistently achieve excellent ratings.
We are proud to be a global and inclusive organisation with a welcoming and respectful culture. We recognise talent and actively support personal and professional development of our employees to the best of their abilities. We are focused not only on the outcomes but on how we get there. By taking an active approach to investing and asset management we maximise the potential of our projects and our people. We always seek new talent to complement our growing network of professionals, specialising in various disciplines; from capital raising and business origination to asset and portfolio management, and within our central business functions.
Senior role - due to portfolio growth and internal development, we are looking for a talented senior asset manager to join our Infrastructure team based in London, reporting to the Head of Asset Management.
Managing assets and people - the successful candidate will manage a portfolio of investments in large and complex infrastructure projects, acting both as a Director on Project Company Boards and by supporting and developing a number of asset management colleagues in the management of their portfolio’s. This will also include the management of public and private sector partners and advisors, and the provision of strategic leadership and tactical support to the Asset Management team in the management of critical issues and resolution of commercial disputes.
Best in Class - In addition, the role will focus on developing and delivering a ‘best in class’ asset management approach across the InfraRed infrastructure business, providing thought leadership, innovative strategies and action plans on key areas of asset management activity.
The main responsibilities for the position include:
- Working proactively within InfraRed to pursue excellence in our asset management and supporting the Head of Asset Management in delivering a ‘Best in Class’ approach
- Managing a portfolio of investments as the nominated InfraRed board director representing the interests of our fund investors and taking on the full statutory responsibilities of a Company Director. More specifically:
- Governance - ensuring good governance in the day to day operations of any allocated asset, including the scrutiny of SPV management performance and reporting, ensuring that all statutory, contractual and corporate regulations and InfraRed policies, such as ESG, are properly complied with, and otherwise driving best practice
- Value preservation – take the lead to ensure that the occurrence of issues within a project are minimised, and that any that do arise are promptly and successfully resolved or appropriately mitigated
- Value enhancement – take the lead to proactively identify and deliver all achievable value enhancement opportunities, and in particular, to ensure that all valuation assumptions are understood and actioned or amended as appropriate
- Stakeholder management - develop and manage key stakeholder relationships, including public sector Clients, and work with the InfraRed colleagues to identify and implement actions and initiatives that may constructively improve these. Attend, contribute to, and where appropriate, lead, key contractual meetings and other necessary interactions
- Provide thought leadership in the development of strategies and tactical action plans aimed at:
- resolving material critical, commercial and contentious issues across the portfolio
- optimising operational performance, governance and reporting
- Take line management responsibility for a number of InfraRed asset managers, including the conduct of regular, constructive feedback sessions and periodic appraisals. Support the Head of Asset Management to develop the skills and efficient working of the Asset Management team, and the realisation of team and individual potential
- Carrying out asset specific and portfolio-wide analysis, taking a proactive and entrepreneurial approach to identify and deliver value initiatives across the portfolio
- Undertake due diligence activities on new investments, such as reviewing project documentation, technical due diligence reports and making site visits to support bids and acquisitions.
- Assisting Asset Management colleagues on specific tasks on other projects which may have from time to time operational, performance or relationship issues.
- Ensuring compliance with all relevant internal and external rules, regulations and procedures that apply to the conduct of the businesses in which they are involved, including InfraRed Global Policies
We expect the successful candidate to demonstrate the following attributes:
- Experience of creating or managing PFI/PPP projects in a senior role, including the management of junior colleagues
- Significant track record in the delivery of ‘Best in Class operations and value enhancement initiatives
- Numerate and commercially aware
- Ability to analyse and solve-problems, including the use and manipulation of Excel and other software products
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal in English language, able to engage at all levels
- Confidence to represent investor interests at Project Board level, with the ability and willingness to take management responsibility and to take a lead where necessary in negotiations with stakeholders
- Practiced project management skills
- Able to work autonomously and as part of a team
- Able to work on a variety of tasks concurrently
- Deliver accurate, quality reporting to meet tight deadlines
- Proficiency in MS Office